Cross & Smith LLC


Compensation in a Multi-Vehicle Accident

Oct 29, 2021 - Car Accidents by

While all motor vehicle accidents can cause injuries, multi-vehicle accidents tend to be more catastrophic in nature. One reason for this is because the same vehicle can be hit multiple times in the same or different areas. Also, a large pile-up can make it difficult for emergency personnel to reach those with injuries, causing much-needed treatment to be delayed. After a multi-vehicle accident occurs, the question of liability and who is responsible for the personal injuries and damages to personal property arises. Having a knowledgeable Tuscaloosa auto accident attorney on your side when you’ve been injured in one of these accidents is vital to recovering the compensation you are due.

Contributory Negligence

Recovering for damages received in a multi-vehicle accident in Alabama can be challenging as it is a contributory negligence state. Contributory negligence is a legal doctrine that holds that if a party is in any way responsible for the accident that caused their injuries, they are unable to recover from another party. For example, if the court determines that you are only 10% responsible for the accident while one of the other parties was 90% responsible, you cannot recover any compensation from the party that holds 90% of the responsibility. As you can imagine, this leads to significant recriminating and blame-shifting between parties. A Tuscaloosa auto accident attorney can help in finding ways to recover and ensure fault is correctly apportioned.

Determination of Fault

When contributory negligence is the law of the land, determination of fault is crucial to every party involved in a multi-vehicle accident. There are several different ways fault is determined, including:

  • Eyewitnesses: Eyewitnesses can be crucial in determining who is at fault, especially in a multi-vehicle accident, as there will likely be people present that see what happens. The more witnesses that agree on certain events, the more credible the testimony.
  • Responding Law Enforcement: A law enforcement officer’s report on a multi-vehicle pile-up should be detailed and all-inclusive. More than likely, it will establish how the officer believes the accident occurred and may even include pictures taken at the scene. 
  • Video Footage: Thanks to the technologically advanced world that we live in, video footage of accidents is becoming more and more prevalent. Video is often obtained from traffic lights, dash cams, and witnesses. This evidence can be crucial in the determination of fault. 
  • Accident Reconstruction: Accident reconstruction is a very useful tool in proving how
    an accident occurred. Experts can be brought in to recreate the accident and, by doing so, show who is at fault.

Speak With A Tuscaloosa Auto Accident Attorney

When a multi-vehicle accident occurs, it isn’t long before fingers start pointing and the blame game starts. To be sure you recover what you are owed, it is necessary to retain legal counsel experienced in different car accidents. Contact Cross & Smith, LLC, by calling 877-791-0618 or via our contact page. A Tuscaloosa auto accident attorney will help you battle to recover what you are owed.

Hear What Our Clients Have To Say

"After my husband was injured in a burn accident at work, we felt the accident could have been avoided. I was not sure where to start, but after careful research, we met with Justin Smith and shared our experience. From day one, we felt we were in good hands. Justin and Dell explained everything and kept us informed from start to finish. It was a complicated case that took an outside the box approach. Both Justin and Dell made us feel like part of the team."
Posted By: Rhonda Moore

Read More Reviews