While our Birmingham burn injury lawyers have learned no one was hurt, it’s a fitting coincidence that the incident happened in the midst of National Burn Awareness Week, Feb. 3-9.
The fact is, this was a dramatic example of the burn risks that are all around us.
The American Burn Association (ABA) notes that the most common type of burn injuries are attributed to scalding, usually in the home or in assisted-living situations. The most vulnerable individuals are babies, young children, elderly adults and people with disabilities. When these vulnerable individuals sustain a scald injury, they are more likely to have to be hospitalized. They have a greater likelihood of complications, such as infection, and they tend to have a longer, tougher recovery.
Surprisingly, scalding caused by tap water (either in the sink or bathtub) tends to be more severe than those related to cooking. That’s likely because when we’re cooking, we’re already alert to the possibility of potential danger.
A scald is a burn that is caused by either steam or hot liquid. We often think of fire as being the primary burn risk, but we underestimate water’s potential.
Burns are rated in severity by degrees. A first-degree burn is one that damages the outer layer of the skin. A second-degree burn is more serious, damaging both the outer layer and the one directly underneath. A third-degree burn is one in which the deepest layer of skin and tissues sustain major damage.
These injuries typically lead to swelling, blistering and scarring. In some of the more serious situations, a person can suffer shock and even death.
The ABA reports that every single day in America, more than 350 children under the age of 19 suffer some type of major burn, often requiring hospitalization. Children and the elderly tend to have thinner skin, which means they are more susceptible to harm. What’s more, those under the age of 4 or adults suffering from dementia are less likely to perceive the potential dangers or react quickly enough to spare themselves.
The most common place for this is in bathrooms, kitchens and dining rooms.
The good news is that most burn injuries are 100 percent preventable, and it’s especially incumbent upon parents and caregivers to minimize the risk. The ABA recommends the following:
Burn Awareness Week, Feb. 3-9, 2013, Scald Injury Prevention Campaign, American Burn Association
"After my husband was injured in a burn accident at work, we felt the accident could have been avoided. I was not sure where to start, but after careful research, we met with Justin Smith and shared our experience. From day one, we felt we were in good hands. Justin and Dell explained everything and kept us informed from start to finish. It was a complicated case that took an outside the box approach. Both Justin and Dell made us feel like part of the team."